Would you walk over hot coals for someone? Well now is your chance…
Come and join us on Saturday 5th March 2022 in Folkestone, as we host an exciting fire walk to raise essential funds for mental health.
UK Firewalk‘s specialist team will show you how to safely undertake a bare foot walk, over red-hot embers measuring around 800 degrees. No special effects and no tricks.
To take part in this once in a lifetime experience, we require a registration fee of £30, and a target sponsorship of £100 to be raised for South Kent Mind.
This is a chance to try something new, whilst giving back locally to support local mental health.
- Book online following this link
- Receive your confirmation via email
- Follow the instructions in the email to start raising sponsorship via our Just Giving Page.
- Confirm with us that you are raising money for South Kent Mind to confirm your place.
- If you would like to fundraise by traditional methods, follow the instructions in the confirmation email to receive further information.
- Know that you are amazing for undertaking this challenge to improve help improve lives.
WHAT EXACTLY IS A FIREWALK? The participants will undergo training of around one hour. When the fire has burned to red-hot embers it is raked level and prepared for the walk. Participants go to the fire – remove their footwear and one by one are invited to walk the coals.
IS IT A TRICK? No. The fire is very real. The embers will be glowing red-hot – we can often measure the temperature at around 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. You will have bare feet, and they will not have been treated in any way.
WILL IT HURT? The sensation is described by some as walking on eggshells, others as walking on hot sand. Each walker has his or her own experience.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE? There is no preparation to undertake. No treatment of the feet or mental exercise, just the training provided atthe seminar. You should abstain from the consumption of alcohol or drugs prior to the event. Any person who is in the opinion of the trainer unfit to participate will NOT be permitted to take part.
HOW FIT DO I NEED TO BE? There is no strenuous physical exercise involved. If you can walk normally then you should manage the Firewalk perfectly well. If you have any doubts, please consult your GP before attending.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? There is no special clothing required. Casual comfortable clothes are best. Please remember fires can be quite dirty and clothes may become ash stained. Footwear needs to be easy to remove and will need to be replaced before going back indoors so a hand towel might be a good idea. Flip flops are a good idea, especially if the ground is cold.
MEDICAL RESTRICTIONS? We have many people walk who were pregnant, has diabetes, Stroke survivors, Blind and many other conditions. None have been an issue, however we always recommend if in doubt seek advice from your doctor.
IS IT SAFE? There is an inherent risk in any activity involving fire. It is important that participants pay attention to all the training and heed the advice and instruction of the trainer, firewatchers and spotters. Whilst absolute safety is not guaranteed proper procedure reduces risk to the achievable minimum.
WILL I BE HYPNOTISED? No. There is no hypnotism involved. You will be fully awake at all times. You may also withdraw at any time if you wish.
AM I EXPECTED TO FUNDRAISE? No, for this gift experience ticket we are not expecting participants to fundraise in addition to this ticket price. However, if you would like to fundraise for South Kent Mind all donations would be gratefully received. Please follow this link for event fundraising or if you would like a fundraising form please contact our fundraising officer on the email above. All cheques should be addressed to South Kent Mind.
ALL WALKERS SHOULD READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE GUIDELINES BEFORE STARTING A FIREWALK.
- Walkers must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. All walkers should be well hydrated (drink plenty of water).
- If you are tired, stressed or recovering from illness you will be less focused and have an increased risk of receiving a blister.
- Please ensure your feet are clean and free from massage and pedicure oils. No one is forced to walk on fire and we will not allow peer pressure.